Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Quit Smoking Programs and other Quit Smoking topics.
Not-On-Tobacco or N-O-T is the American Lung Association's newest tool to help teens quit smoking. Here's an outline of how N-O-T works:
- Offers 10 sessions and 4 optional booster sessions through voluntary participation.
- Designed to help teens quit smoking or reduce their smoking.
- Includes selection criteria for facilitators such as a nonjudgmental approach to teens.
- Provides comprehensive facilitator training in addiction, curriculum content and implementation, referral for other help and group process.
- Is gender specific.
- Includes life skills management traiing such as stress management.
- Designed and tested specifically for teens.
- Based on solid research in 15 sites nationwide.
- Includes built-in evaluation component for local tracking.
- Meets CDC Guidelines for School Health Programs.
- Includes a supplemental Alternqative-to-Suspension program for school tobacco violations.